So, I went to Bent-Con and had a nice time and was on a seemingly well received panel and got to say hello to some friends and creators I haven’t seen in a while.
And here’s the list of stuff I picked up that’s worth your attention:
- Mahou Shounen Fight, a charmingly illustrated gender-bending, queer teen super-hero book in the “magical girl” tradition.
- Kyle’s Bed and Breakfast: A Second Bowl of Serial, the newest collection of the webcomic.
- Bludgeon, an extremely action-orientated gay bear superhero book.
- Several items from Northwest Press, including Rick Worley’s oversexed bunny strip A Waste of Time and the absolutely gorgeous Hindu-inspired lesbian sword and sorcery fantasy The Legend of Bold Riley.
- Sina Grace’s “retail hell” story not my bag.
- The Art of Rader, a Brad Rader sketchbook
- Butch McLogic’s lushly illustrated and extremely fun sci-fi sex comic Tug Harder.
- And last, but certainly not least, Alex Woolfson’s and Winona Nelson’s amazing, romantic, and beautifully illustrated sci-fi romance webcomic in collected form Artifice
I’ve become a pretty strong fan of Bent-Con, despite some organizational issues cropping up as the event still finds it’s feet, but it’s nice to have a showcase for gay, lesbian and transgender comics and sci-fi/fantasy and gaming, that doesn’t get lost in the crowd the way they could in a general convention. It’s also worth noting that, at Bent-Con, every single thing I bought was really, really good and worthwhile, which is not something I can say for other conventions I’ve gone to.