So, Dan DeCarlo drew a “Josie and the Pussycats” knock-off for Penthouse Comix

Click for larger

It’s not “Dan DeCarlo drawing sexy girls in lingerie” that’s a bit unsettling…he did do a more than healthy amount of pin-up work during his career.
It’s that he was working for Penthouse of all companies…doing a sex comic…where another artist very obviously drew the sex scenes.

Since someone keeps trying to leave me threatening comments about this, let me just post the credits page for this story:

That’s Penthouse Comix #2, page 82, July/August 1994, for anyone else out there who seems to think I’m making all this up.

Oh, and for the record, ISP 96.232.145.72, I don’t HAVE a brother…

12 Responses to “Pets”
  1. GayProf says:

I am shocked — SHOCKED! Those are the worst song lyrics that I have ever seen.

2. merchantfan says:

I know. They are possibly the most unerotic lyrics I’ve ever heard in my life.

3. It’s a nice companion to Al’s Christian Archies.

4. Anonymous Bosch says:

Amazingly awful lyrics. I’m halfway tempted to record it as Josie and The Pussycats bubblegum parody for something to do. Wasn’t there always a flute for some reason?

5. Joseph says:

I think the bald chick should have been made a member of the regular Archie universe.

6. fred says:

According to the Comics Journal interview from 2000, this actually wasn’t done by Decarlo — it was done by a “John Workman” (or something like that). Decarlo and Penthouse were too far apart on what they wanted to do — Decarlo finding Penthouse’s script “too wild”, so they turned to a Decarlo look-alike.

fred–John Hunter is credited along with DeCarlo on the art. When you look at the entire story, not just these panels, it seems clear that at least some of the work is by DeCarlo, as Hunter’s work is somewhat off-model.

8. fred says:

So, Decarlo had his standards (given any time I look his name up on ebay I see one of two prints he did of Betty and Veronica showering together, that is hard to imagine), and John Hunter did the bits that Decarlo wouldn’t do?

fred–That would be my guess. The only other Pets story I found had an entirely new artist and no mention of DeCarlo at all.

10. Anonymous Bosch says:

At a guess, I think they’d sound exactly like Transvision Vamp.

11. buzz says:

I was there at Penthouse Comix when all this transpired. Dan did one story for Penthouse that was subsequently re-written in the dialog stage to try to turn it into a sci-fi tale; it was originally about a punk band & while it featured some nudity was nowhere near as raunchy as later chapters of the story (most of PC’s stories were either serials or continuing characters).

DeCarlo had been on the outs w/Archie at that point & they had stopped using him, ostensibly to have “fresher” (i.e., cheaper) artists try their hand at the characters. George Caragonne, PC’s e-ic, a 350 lb screaming drug maniac but in this case at least one w/his heart in the right place, hired Dan to do a series in the Archie style. Dan agreed, but bowed out after the first script, clearly uncomfortable w/the extremes George wanted. He was replaced (I forget who “John Workman” really was) & the series lurched on for another 3 or 4 chapters before mercifully being taken out back and shot.

However, when Archie saw Dan’s byline on a PC story, they quickly rehired him & gave him enough work to keep him too busy to do any more X-rated parodies, so the story had a (temporary) happy ending. (Of course we all know how Archie ended up screwing Dan after all, and George’s own demise was less than 90 days away, but that’s another tale for another time).

Dan wasn’t the only guy George helped out this way. Wayne Boring wasn’t getting any work at DC until George hired him to illustrate a reprint of Larry Niven’s essay “Man of Steel, Woman Of Tissue” & then Wayne got a lot more work from DC. When DC commissioned a short Batman story from Mobius then refused to pay him when he delivered too outre’ a story, George bought the rights, colored Batman pink, and re-titled the story “I Am Not Batman” and on every page included a TM notice to the effect of “Batman is (c) & TM DC comics but this is NOT Batman!”

Buzz–Thanks for the background info.