Oh, hey, they finally announced the actress who will be the companion in the next series of Doctor Who. To the surprise of no one sane, there have been melt-downs a plenty amongst Who fans concerned that, at 21, Karen Gillan is far too young for the role, and that this is proof that the BBC is chasing some tween-girl demographic. Never mind that, at 21, she’s around the same age as a number of other actress when they started on the show, and is older than others, particularly Sarah Sutton, who was eighteen when she was cast as Nyssa, and was teamed with Janet Fielding and Peter Davison, both under age thirty.

(For those keeping track, that was an era of the show that new show-runner Steven Moffat has praised.)

The show’s new lead writer and executive producer, Steven Moffat, who is replacing Russell T Davies, said: “We saw some amazing actresses for this part, but when Karen came through the door the game was up. Funny, and clever, and gorgeous, and sexy. Or Scottish, which is the quick way of saying it.

“A generation of little girls will want to be her. And a generation of little boys will want them to be her too.”

Uhm, yeah, thanks for that not at all slightly creepy endorsement there, Steve. I guess the Straight Agenda is already rearing its ugly head.

Oh, well, why fight fate. Here you go, straight boys:

At least she’s not dry-humping a Dalek in that shot.

16 Responses to “No, She’s Not Going To Turn Out To Be Romana Guys”
  1. Alan says:

Would it be a spoiler if I told you the inside info that…

… she’ll be revealed in the last episode of the season to actually be a time-travelling Donna from That 70′s Show? I’m telling you man, we’ll still see brit versions throughout the season that looks like the rest of the cast – and I’m going to pretend she’s from the show like a dumb person watching a film without knowing how to separate the actors from their previous roles (you know, like a stupid friend who says while watching Wonder Boys “man, Tony Stark and Peter Parker are doing it”).

PS: you know, I never quite understood why fans didn’t like Marta Washington. You’d think their entitled straight-asses would like being pandered to (she was by far the prettiest girl of the latests Who-Girls)

2. Ninja Charro says:

As a memer of the postmodernbarney straight fanbase, I thank you.

3. Thom says:

Alan-I was disappointed when I found out Marta was leaving and being replaced by the Runaway Bride from the special…I found the character terrifically annoying. I skipped series four because of it. (I am changing that, I just added it to my netflix queue)

People…

MarTHA JONES.

“Martha Washington” is a Frank Miller character. And I don’t want to think about a Frank Miller inspired Who character.

5. Thom says:

Whoops…that was a typo on my part…I didn’t catch that I typed Marta. I was wondering though if Alan was referring to a character from an earlier incarnation of the Doctor that I was not knowledgeable of.

6. Thom says:

Wait! Frank Miller’s Doctor Who! A whole new spin on the term Companion for the Whoverse.

7. Alan says:

Yeah, sorry, my bad. Must have been reading the news before writing it away.

I have no excuses for lack of H.

8. No complaints here! Praise and more praise! The doc is one lucky Timelord!

9. Steven Clubb says:

Just glancing through the list of Companions who were in their late teens or very early 20s (in addition to Sarah Sutton) when starting on Doctor Who.

Maureen O’Brien — 22
    Frazer Hines — 22
    Deborah Watling — 19
    Wendy Padbury — 19
    Katy Manning — 22
    Matthew Waterhouse — 19
    Nicola Bryant — 22
    Bonnie Langford — 22
    Billie Piper — 22

So, 21 would not appear to be terribly young to appear as a companion on this show, and every Doctor (save Paul McGann) co-stared with at least one Companion who started at the age of 22 or younger. Also funny to note that many of the teen characters on the show were played by actors/actresses in their mid-20s, such as Turlough, Ace, and Susan.

10. elsie says:

I like that first picture. She looks like a girl with some gumption, the way Sarah Jane and Ace did. I can see a girl like that being a role model to little girls. And little girls need real role models, as opposed to having to figure out how to identify with a love interest.

And on behalf of straight-men-who-enjoy-cute-redheads-with-accents everywhere, I thank you.

I’m interested in seeing what kind of character she is, since we don’t really have anything to go by besides the few publicity shots. Auntie Beeb hasn’t even told anyone her name yet! Not that we know anything about 11 yet, either, come to think of it. Everything is possibility at this point with these characters, which is a smart way to play it, I think… make people so curious that they need to tune in.

And Bonnie Langford was only 22 when she showed up in Trial? Jeez, she was shrill beyond her years.

13. Mister Terrific says:

Having been married to a beautiful redhead 24 years as of next Monday, I heartily concur with the decision to cast Karen Gillan. Provided the new Doctor doesn’t sparkle, I will be looking forward to the new series.

14. HermitIX says:

I have no issue with the casting for the companion. I might not like the companion after I watch her though. I would like to see the show move away from the one companion at a time formula though. And I think adding an older man to the cast to balance out the apparent youth of the new doctor would be a good idea.

It did occur to me that the Doctor is running out of regenerations. If they want to extend his regenerations they should start setting the ground work for that now. With a young Doctor the next regeneration could be invalidated by saying it wasn’t a true regeneration and the doctor just aged significantly. That way they could switch out actors without using up a regeneration. (I am not saying this would happen, I just think it would be clever if it did.)

15. Steven Clubb says:

I hope they don’t make an issue of the 12 regeneration thing until he’s on his last life. Then have him die, say his finale good-bye knowing he will not come back… then end with him going “huh?” in his 14th body.

Insert techno-babble that explains all this the following year.

16. Lawrence Fechtenberger says:

We already know how the “last of the generations” business will play out. If the fans wish hard enough, the Doctor turns into Joanna Lumley.