Offensive, harrassing or baiting comments will not be tolerated and will be deleted at my discretion.
Comment spam will be deleted.
Please leave a name and either a valid web-site or e-mail address with comments. Comments left without either a valid web-site or e-mail address may be deleted. Atom Feed LiveJournal SyndicationLOLcats feed
Tuesday, June 27, 2006
Or, Getting All the Arguments Taken Care of in One Post
1) I don't care for Scott Pilgrim. Even if I could get past a story that simply doesn't interest me, I still don't care for the art.
2) Castle Waiting was good, but devoting half the book to one character's flash-back, and putting flashbacks within that flash-back, completely derailed the story's momentum.
3) I really can't be bothered to get upset over Canon God Exaxxion being censored.
4) Booster Gold has not suddenly become a selfish, egotistical glory-hound. Booster Gold was always a selfish egotistical glory-hound. The writers of 52 are not at fault for your inability to grasp the oh-so-subtle characterization the character has had in the past.
5) The Giffen/DeMatteis era Justice League is not holy writ.
6) Since when is Joss Whedon a feminist? Because, you know, I've seen his television shows and movies, and read his comics, and he's really only got about two, maybe three stock personalities for female characters, and they all strike me as rather cliche and one dimensional.
7) People who negatively compare All Star Batman and Robin to Batman Year One and Dark Knight Returns make me think that they must not have read those last two as carefully as they claim to have. All Star Batman is consistent in tone to those earlier works.
8) Marvel is really only publishing three good comics these days: Runaways, Young Avengers and Spider-Girl.
9) I will accept the argument that the new Batwoman is "masturbatory fan service for straight male comic fans" when two things happen. One, when the majority of the characters appearances involve heavy sexual innuendo (and the mere fact that she's a lesbian does not count as sexual innuendo in and of itself). And two, when the people making the complaint acknowledge that the Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy relationship in the animated Batman continuity is "masturbatory fan service for straight male comic fans."
10) Adam Beechen is the new Ron Marz. And by that I mean, he's the writer unlucky enough to be told to deal with an editorially mandated "fall from grace" storyline for a super-hero which has only served to alienate that character's fanbase.